PeaceQuest KW March Minutes

Meeting started at 7:15pm

  • Update with CPA meeting
    • What’s our relationship with CPA? They are giving us space, do we want to have a more formal relationship moving forward?
      • One option would be as an incubator member. This means official partner with desk, space, they would provide capacity, mentorship, we would be part of an active learning community
      • We would need to see how things are going/if we are sustainable to look into that kind of partnership
    • CPA would be interested in symposium idea, goes under community engagement theme
  • Update with meeting with Michael
    • Emily is going up in April to Kingston to talk with them/ learn about what they’re doing, let Emily know if there are things you’d like her to communicate/ask
    • They’ve had success networking with groups that aren’t already Peace focused (such as choirs, schools, etc) should we have more of that kind of focus?
    • We can request someone from Kingston to come if it’s useful, as a speaker or other function
  • Update with meeting with Josie Winterfeld
    • From peace and justice working group at Stirling Mennonite church
    • They do a yearly peace walk, this year’s theme is around the anniversary of WWI
    • Usually in spring, could be may/june or fall
    • She was unable to come to the meeting due to illness, may connect in a future meeting
  • Update on Cinema Politica movie with Amnesty
    • The main issue is cost. If you show one of Cinema Politica’s films through them, then it’s free, but you still need to fund a venue
    • They typically have an agreement with Princess that it’s $400 a showing
      • What cost they don’t cover through ticket sales is picked up by WPIRG
    • To host it there we would have to be confident that it would draw people
    • The new Apollo theatre is super expensive and would definitely not be an option
    • Tiffany Lynn is the contact person
      • This year’s theme is student organizing/activities, last year’s was Palestine
      • They’re going to hopefully be showing a film on the Hong Kong demonstrations, it’s not in the theme but currently relevant
    • The library would be another option
      • Waterloo Public Library- $25 per hour for non-profit
      • Kitchener- $90 for first 2 hrs, $45 for additional hour
        • Reserve online, only during normal library hours, not sat or sun aft
      • Would have to work with library hours, but would be cheaper
    • Would we want to have a speaker after the film?
    • Still interested in showing Testament of Youth, but not sure if it’s too much of a feature film/too expensive/can even be shown in North America
    • Also have to think of who our target audience is. If we’re doing this at the end of April/Early May, we should definitely not target students
  • UN Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination
    • Saturday, March 21st, all day in Kitchener City Hall. We will have a table there. More details to come
  • Goals
    • We want to retell the history of Canada with peacemakers
    • We should contact PeaceQuest Kingston to see if they have materials on PeaceMakers
    • How would we do this? Would we partner with schools, have speakers…?
  • Caterina Lindman is part of the Citizen’s Climate Lobby Council of Canadians, a very energetic group in Guelph. They tried to start one here but were unsuccessful. Would be an interesting person to contact
  • Moving forward
    • Our group is not large, do not have many members. If we’re going to be sustainable we need to try to attract other people interested in getting involved
    • What do we have the energy/resources to do right now?
    • Put our effort into an event in Late April/Early May around one of the upcoming WWI anniversaries and try to attract more people, and then go from there
    • This event will be a panel discussion; try to get various perspectives represented. Ideally someone familiar with WWI history, Conscientious Objectors/peace traditions history, indigenous war/conflict related issues, and current issues of violence and human rights.
      • WWI- Potentially one of Kae’s contacts that she forwarded, Bev Dietrich? Emily will contact
      • Peace traditions- Marlene Epp or someone at the university, Emily will contact
        • Update: Marlene is on sabbatical, so need another idea of a contact.
      • Indigenous Issues- David may have an idea of a contact, will connect Emily
      • Human Rights- might be able to find someone through Amnesty, David will contact
    • Space- maybe look into Knox Church? They have a community engagement agenda and might be willing to lend their space for free. Good location and space.
    • The subject would be looking at War as a failed tactic, as it is not a good solution to producing peace. Rewriting the myth of war
      • Need a snappy one liner, title. If you have ideas please let us know!
    • Peace Symposium idea
      • Inviting other local peace groups in for a discussion/networking/collaboration kind of thing
      • Still interested, Emily will do some preliminary work contacting groups to see if there is interest
    • Next meeting- April 13th

Other additional notes not discussed in meeting:

  • Emily is going to attend the Grebel Peace Society meeting on March 22nd and speak a little bit about PeaceQuest/ lead a small discussion
  • We still might partner with Peace and Conflict Studies student society for an event this term, details on that forthcoming
  • Quaker Youth and Militarism Conference in Peterborough-http://quaker.ca/youth/youth-militarism/
    • For youth (age 15-35) concerned about the growing militarism in society and how it affects them
    • Emily is going to try to network with youth interested in getting involved in PeaceQuest, PeaceQuest is a partner for this conference
    • If you know anyone interested please spread the word- not just for Quaker youth, any youth interested. There are travel bursaries available for non-Quaker youth through PeaceQuest