Next Event: Thursday, October 15th from 4:30-6:30- Remembering for Peace Teacher’s Workshop
PeaceQuest KW is back for the fall! Our first meeting was September 14th- check out the minutes below to catch up to date. We’re currently planning a teacher’s workshop for teachers interested in discussing alternative ways to conduct Remembrance Day activities in the spirit of “to remember is to work for peace.” We’re also planning a peace symposium where we will be inviting local peace groups together to chat about what’s going on in the community and if there are ways we can collaborate as a peace/social justice community.
PeaceQuest Kitchener-Waterloo launched in December 2014. We meet monthly in the Centre for Peace Advancement in the 4th floor of Conrad Grebel University College.
As a group, we are committed to:
- Advocating for Canada to sign the Arms Trade Treaty
- Bringing peace issues to the agenda of the upcoming election
- Improving community and collaboration between existing Peace Groups in the KW region
- Presenting a counter-narrative to militarism through remembering important Canadian peacemaking figures
- Providing teachers with resources for alternative forms of Remembrance Day commemoration
- Contacted local schools with suggestions of peace lessons to teach on Remembrance Day
- November 10th- Presentation by Jamie Swift, co-author of “Warrior Nation: Rebranding Canada in an Age of Anxiety” and PeaceQuest organizer
- January 19th- PeaceQuest presented a petition to urge Canada to sign the Arms Trade Treaty at the Martin Luther King Jr event organized by the Nonviolence Festival and encouraged participants to sign (please consider signing if you haven’t already)
- Partnering with St. Theresa of Avila School in Elmira as our first PeaceQuest school in KW
- Held a panel discussion event on the complexity of war and peace April 30th
- Partnering with local Peace Groups to host a film screening
- Inviting local Peace Groups to a day of connecting and collaborating
- Collaborating with University of Waterloo student peace groups to run an event on campus
- Creating a community calendar of Peace events in KW
- Holding a seminar for local teachers to incorporate alternative forms of Remembrance Day activities into their classrooms
- And more!
Want to find out more, get involved, or subscribe to our mailing list? Contact PeaceQuest KW Facilitator Emily Mininger at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also follow us on Twitter- @peacequestkw
PeaceQuest KW Meeting Minutes
Curious about what we’re planning? Check out the minutes of our last meeting!