PeaceQuest Kingston was privileged to be part of the global Citizens’ Signing initiative here on September 20. It was good to be part of such a well-organized, global peace push. Of course, we had no idea that, some two weeks later, the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons would be receiving the Nobel Peace Prize. It just goes to show that even the smallest local action, when part of a global organizing effort, can produce results. Now the challenge is to get the Canadian government to sign on. The citizenry is out in front of the state. Once again.
- Guardian: “Nobel peace prize winner rebukes Trump over nuclear standoff”
- NYT: “Nobel Peace Prize Goes to Group Opposing Nuclear Weapons”
- CBC: “Nobel Peace Prize goes to International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons”
- ICAN Website: “Nobel Peace Prize 2017 “
- Abolition 200: “ICAN wins 2017 Nobel Peace Prize for its work on the Nuclear Ban Treaty“