Ottawa: Murray Thomson Celebration of Life
October 23 @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
You are invited to join the Ottawa Quaker community in a CFSC style Memorial and Celebration of Life for Murray McCheyne Thomson (19 December 1922 Honan, China – 2 May 2019 Ottawa, Canada)
Wednesday 23 October 2019 1:30 pm First Unitarian Church 30 Cleary Avenue, Ottawa
Please RSVP to Sheila at email@example.com if you plan to attend.
Please feel free to share this invitation with any who may be moved to join in reflection and celebrations of Murray’s life and work.
…a fine fellow with a great sense of humour
Murray Thomson was one of the 150 extraordinary Canadian peace makers that PeaceQuest celebrated in our Canada 150 project.
He was a founder of Project Ploughshares, PeaceFund Canada and Peace Brigades International. He was a model and a mentor for many members of the Canadian peace movement.
He was internationally respected for his efforts to connect the work for peace with the work for justice, security and international development.
He was a peacemaker in every sense of the word.
You can read more about Murray’s work in this article by Jim Cresky of The Hill Times In the coming days and weeks there will be more tributes to Murray’s work and his legacy.
We reflect on the times we spent with Murray with the following archive of articles and images:
- PeaceQuest joins in on Nobel Peace Prize Celebrations
- PeaceQuest: 150+ Canadians Day 151, Murray Thomson
- PeaceQuest: MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT w/ Murray Thomson
- PeaceQuest: A Tonic for Bad News: Murray Thomson and the Pugwash Group Prescribe a Remedy
- Globe and Mail: Pacifist Murray Thomson waged an unrelenting campaign for peace – by Jamie Swift (this article is behind a paywall)
- October 23
1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- Canadian Friends Service Committee – Ottawa Meeting