Imagining Peace: A Vision for Canada
November 10 @ 9:00 am - November 11 @ 4:30 pm
Gathering * Festival * Celebration
You are invited to a gathering in Kingston at the shores of Lake Ontario in Haudenosaunee and Anishinaabe territory. PeaceQuest, a Kingston-based social justice organization, proposes a special event November 9-11th, 2018, marking the hundredth anniversary of the end of World War I:
- Paul Rogers – Department of Peace Studies, Bradford University, UK
- John McGarry – Department of Political Studies, Queen’s University
- Mona Rahman – Islamic Society of Kingston
- Shannon-Monk Payne – CEO, Sakatay Global
- Stephanie Simpson – Director, Human Rights Office, Queen’s University
- Lawrence Scanlan – Canadian Author, Editor and Journalist
The Program in Detail:
On Saturday, November 10th, we will bring together PeaceQuest supporters, affiliates from other cities, peace activists, Kingston friends of PeaceQuest. This day-long session will be in Kingston City Hall’s Memorial Room, a lofty public space featuring stained glass representations of Great War battles.
We’ve invited a special keynote to help us with our reflection:
- Peace scholar Paul Rogers, author of Why We’re Losing the War on Terror and numerous other books. Regularly interviewed on CBC-Radio’s Sunday Edition, he is Professor of Peace Studies at the University of Bradford and Global Security Consultant with Oxford Research Group. Paul has worked in the field of international security, arms control and political violence for over thirty years.
In the afternoon, we’ll engage with a panel of local peace promoters who will help us deepen our reflection.
Sunday, November 11th, we will assemble at the stunning Isabel Bader Centre for the Performing Arts for a very special Remembrance Day celebration – organized jointly by PeaceQuest and The Isabel. The past two years our Remembering for Peace concerts have filled the 500-seat venue to capacity. There won’t be much speechifying; we will use music, art and performance to remember and renew our commitment to peacebuilding.
If you would like to indicate your commitment to attend, please fill out the form below. We will be in touch once the full registration page is ready.
- November 10 @ 9:00 am
- November 11 @ 4:30 pm